Friday 17 July 2015

Sea Kayaking at Mt. Desert Island Maine Day 1

Mt. Desert Island

This July (6 thru 10) I traveled to Maine with another paddler on a camping trip specifically to paddle the waters surrounding Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park.   In particular I planned to paddle the western coast which is usually referred to as the Quietside,  so called as it is more sheltered than the eastern side (Frenchman Bay) or southern shores.  The other side I have paddled before.

Mt. Desert Island

As it turned out with a week of gorgeous weather, hot and dry with very little wind to speak of, any side could have been considered the Quietside.  We arrive on the Monday after lunch and get set up in our campground; I'm using my tent, my friend has an electric/water site as she has a trailer.  I'm very happy with my site, lots of privacy with a tent platform set apart from the picnic table and fire pit.   My parking is very convenient too so I can haul gear in and out as it is needed.














Campsite

With everything shipshape we are ready for our first paddle, a short one but it is too nice an afternoon to waste sitting around.  So we head out to Manset town pier to launch.   Leaving Manset we travel east towards Sutton Island before turning northwest back towards the entrance to Somes Sound, rounding the northern tip of Greening Island thence southward to return to Manset pier.




off Manset town pier








Acadia Park Mt. Desert Island


Greening Island home

With our first paddle complete it is time for a much needed shower and change of clothes; wearing a wet suit in these temperatures one feels pretty cooked but water temperature averages 59 degrees which is pretty cool if you get dumped. Then it is off to have dinner at a restaurant in Bass Harbor which was highly recommended to us.  Excellent seafood!

Sunset from Bass Harbor restaurant

Paddle Day 1
Continue to Day 2





No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your comment here