Friday 4 November 2016

1000 Islands New York State

Grindstone Is. - U.S. Thousand Islands

Click on any image to see full size!

November already, and the weather of late has been rather crappy, perhaps foreshadowing the possibility of a harsh winter to come. The temperatures have been running much lower than the norm, so when they predicted a high of 17 c for November 2nd it was a no brainer, get out and paddle as it might be my last chance this season as I need to knuckle down and get some work done at home.

I have done much paddling in the 1000 Islands but only briefly traversed u.s. waters (see my Boldt Castle post) so have had it in mind to make a circumnavigation of Grindstone one of the largest islands belonging to New York state and this seemed like an ideal time to do just that.

Grindstone Island

As forecast, the morning was mild but overcast as I load up the car, but by the time I reached 1000 island parkway the sun was shining and it promised to be a glorious day.  The plan is to circle anti-clockwise as wind from SW changing to W; so into it at the start but later it should be more help than hindrance.  Also I plan to stop for lunch at Thwartway Island before entering u.s. waters.

Launching a few kilometers east of Gananoque at 11:00 my first waypoint will be Corn island where from a distance I can spot a large raptor atop a tree.  This proves to be an adult Bald eagle.   


Put-in

Bald eagle on Corn Is.

I head SW into the wind which is close to the prediction of 9-10 km so very pleasant and I make landfall at the Parks Canada kayak landing in the bay on the SE side of Thwartway (aka Leek Is.) at lunchtime.   These waters are so peaceful now compared to the summer season when they would be just humming with Sea-Doos and a variety of power boats.  Today I have seen two small run-abouts quietly engaged in fishing.   The bay is sheltered from the wind so shirt off and catch a few rays while sitting on the dock to have my lunch.

Lunch on dock
Thwartway











Lunch over I paddle south into u.s. waters swapping over the map in my GPS to a NY topo obtained from the web.  Skies suddenly become overcast with high stratus creating that "calm before the storm" feeling which proved to be unjustified as within an hour it was back to sunny skies.
NW Grindstone Is.

Near Cummings Pt.

Rounding the SW corner of Grindstone the town of Clayton N.Y. appears in the distance.   I have never been there but for a small town it has some interesting attractions.  It is home to the Antique Boat Museum as well as an historical opera house.   I know the museum houses some fast boats once owned by Frederick Bourne, builder of Singer Castle down river opposite Mallorytown Landing.  On an island between Grindstone and the mainland I spot what I first thought might be a Martello tower similar to the one on Cedar island which was built by the British to defend Kingston.   Wrong! Just some fancy real estate.

Clayton N.Y.
The tower










Grindstone appears to be low laying and fairly sparsely populated, the real estate generally not on a par with what you find in the Admiralty Islands off Gananoque; nothing of great interest!    As I continue NE I pass first a laker going upstream then my second small flock today of White-wing scoters which come to the Great Lakes to winter, and I think at least one Black scoter.

Laker

White-wing scoters
From here I enter the channel between Grindstone and Picton islands to work my way up the eastern shore thence back to Canadian waters.  I had thought the tour boat season over so was surprised to see a pontoon boat belonging to Clayton Island Tours come chugging past with about half a dozen passengers. Travelling at a sedate pace, so not a bad way to see the islands for those who can't do it under their own steam.

Picton Is. channel
Clayton Tours










A small strip of land along the east shore is a state park which appears to be for day use only, with docking facilities but no camping or overnight boat mooring.  At about this point I am stopped watching two mute swans fly overhead and taking photos when I hear a powerful motor coming up the channel behind me.  Prepare to repel boarders!  I am being apprehended by a U.S. Border patrol.

Picnic Point State Park

U.S. Border Patrol
Their vessel pulls along side me and three of them step out of the cabin, I was still brandishing a paddle you see, or I might have made a dash for it... Citizenship? Where have you come from? Have you landed anywhere?  I.D.? Yes sir, in a little black barrel in that hatch back there if you care to dig it out! Did you see such and such islands along the way (trick questions). They decided to forgo trying to open the hatch, its a bit of a monkey puzzle for first timers and decide to look up my name, d.o.b. and I tell them I was last in U.S. last week with the cats at the vet (read setting up my drop).   Satisfied I wasn't a mule for the cartel they wished me Bon voyage and enjoy the rest of your day! It was all quite amusing although they are quite serious, they were very polite and hey, no shots were fired!

From here I'm about 6 km back to my put-in, about 1 km to Canadian waters. Squeezing first between Prince Rupert and Sugar islands, then Squaw before skimming past Gordon, one of the Canada Parks islands.

Downstream: a dead calm

Prince Rupert Is.

Kayak heaven!

It's 16:40 and I am back where I started after a very enjoyable paddle, almost 27 and a half kilometers in perfect fall weather and now a pleasant drive along the 1000 islands parkway before taking 401 home.


Psst, wanna buy some ganja? Fresh off de boat mon!



Happy paddling!
Doug

1 comment:

  1. Glad you managed to get in and out of US. Who knows, next time there may be a wall! A nice adventure to add to your gorgeous paddle.

    ReplyDelete

Put your comment here