Wednesday 16 November 2016

Lyndhurst to Red Horse Lake

 Lyndhurst to Red Horse Lake - Squaw Island - 18.1 km

Squaw Island
This is a very pretty paddle and one I generally reserve for late fall probably just because it is so peaceful and with the sun traversing a lower ecliptic at that time of year one experiences some quite dramatic reflections which can make for interesting photos.  November 15, and we get yet another perfect day for paddling with a high of 13 c promised.   I find this time of year when heading out alone that I am in no great rush to get moving in the morning; dark and usually cold in the mornings I tend to linger with coffee and my ebook so that by the time I get to my launch it has usually warmed up some.  

Lyndhurst Lake
Today I launch from Lyndhurst public dock which has already  been dragged out and now sits on shore.   From here it is less than one kilometer to the entrance of Lyndhurst Creek which leads to Singleton Lake.
Creek
Red Horse Lake Rd.










Singleton Lake

There are a few dwellings along the first part of the creek on the west side, some year round, some just cottages.  Singleton flows out on the east side as the creek continues.  Here we have some sharp bends and there is now a house built at this scenic spot and just past here I sight the first wildlife, a Red-tail hawk.



Another kilometer and the creek flows into the Long Reach, a long narrow body of water considered part of Red Horse lake.
Bend to Long Reach
Long Reach
Now travelling NE, the Long Reach terminates at a narrows beyond which is Red Horse lake proper which is my destination today.  Historically I have always landed at the start of the portage from Red Horse to Charleston Lake (see hiker symbol on map) but today a picnic table on a small island catches my eye, no habitation or signs saying private so I decide this will do very nicely for lunch.  Turns out this is Squaw island and in addition to the table there is a fire ring; this would be a very nice campsite!

Squaw Island
Lunch
This works out well as it shaves a kilometer off each direction, having had a late start I'm monitoring my time to make sure I take out before dusk.  If one continues across Red Horse and turns right you can paddle all the way to Gananoque and the St. Lawrence river this being an ancient canoe route that served our indigenous people.  I may do this someday and I have previously paddled about half way, on that occasion taking out at Marble Rock after the first of the two portages necessary to reach the St Lawrence.   Lunch over I retrace my route, on the Long Reach I catch a glimmer at some distance from ruffled water on the otherwise flat calm.  With the binoculars I can determine that it was a kayak crossing and heading back into Lyndhurst creek, first and only sign of life today.  As I mentioned reflections can be quite dramatic this time of year and if viewed differently can create something almost mystical.

Lyndhurst Lake

Spirits in nature?


It is around 4 p.m. I arrive back at the put-in and the sun is setting as I pack up my gear for the drive home, about one hour and fifteen minutes.  Along the way I watch as the sun disappears setting fire to the western sky ending another great day on the water.




KayakJock

4 comments:

  1. Spirits in nature picture is just amazing Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your journalling - the combo of your writing style (like a warm cup of tea), accompanied by the photos (some are especially beautiful, like postcards) - lovely. I really like the route posted on the map, too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that. I'm heading that way with my kayak end of May.

    ReplyDelete

Put your comment here