Thursday 14 May 2020

Paddling in the time of Covid

Charleston Lake


Charleston Lake 21.3 km
These are trying times to put it mildly with a pandemic running amok worldwide and all the restrictions on social liberties inherent in the measures to contain the virus there has been little opportunity for recreation and enjoying the great outdoors.   For myself paddling is uppermost in my outdoor activities, the 800-1000 kms a year providing me my main source of exercise.  Normally supplemented by gym time but that has been unavailable for two months so I am extremely happy to see some restrictions being lifted and I'm finaly back on the water.    Please note, on my recent post to the Tk2o paddling list titled "FREEDOM" one respondent asked if I was looking to get an $800 fine so just to clarify I always ascertain whether the access point I use is legal to use and that was the case with Mississipi Mills and for this paddle to Charleston Lake.   So please before heading out check with the appropriate municipality to verify right of use.






Wednesday was near perfect weather at 13 c and sunny, a cool breeze which is fine and keeps you from over heating when your wearing cold water gear and this lake has so many islands you can always find a route that will avoid much time in a head wind.     Only three vehicles in the lot normally full this time of year so looks like I get the lake pretty much to myself.

So i'm off heading roughly south with most of the islands to starboard intent on making a loop around them coming north again to the Captains Gap.  From here i'll go west then SW until reaching Donaldson arm at the lakes western extremity.




Judging by some of the names of islands (Republican & Democrat) several are likely owned by Yanks now unable to visit due to border closures.  Rounding the south end of Rebublican I travel north along the mainland which is all part of Charleston Provincial Park.  Entering the Captains Gap where there are three wilderness campsites and a day use picnic site i'm looking to stop for lunch.  I pass the first site and continue to check the picnic site but reject it as more difficult landing, so not wanting to chance a dip return to camp 507 which has a gravel beach so easy peasey!


Campsite 507
Always on the lookout for birds on my trips I spot a Brown creeper as I sit having lunch but this is only the third sighting today, A Caspian tern and a Loon the others.   Perhaps they have been told to stay home too😊.
Lunch over I again head through the Gap then turn SW towards the entrance to Donaldson Arm.
Donaldson Arm

The west side of Donaldson belongs to the Park as do the islands at the top. This ridge separates Charleston lake from Redhorse lake, the subject of the FREEDOM post and today i'm going to have a look at the Charleston end of the portage joining the two.   This also serves to remind me why I would never ever consider doing this portage.


Portage to Redhorse

The portage is approx half a kilometer, up and then downhill and totally unsuitable for wheels.  Only once did a portage and that was about 140m with wheels on a reasonable trail. Lyndhurst to Gananoque 

From here I turn around and start for home, retracing my route as far as the Gap but then continue northward; along the way I get a fly by of a Pileated woodpecker easily recognised even at a distance by its undulating flight, then a Raven swooping along cliffs.


Rounding Camp Vega island it is east to Joe island and its narrow channel then on reaching Hen island I turn north to run back in to my Charleston take out.  Another fine day on the water.



Keep your distance and stay safe!

KayakJock






No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your comment here